|www.Aviapress.com > Magazines > Polygon >|
PLN-200203 Polygon N3 2002 magazine
Why did Stalin has destroyed "Stalin line"?
UR (ukreplionniy rajon, fortified district) was an impotant component of soviet war planning before WWII. They should cover the approaches to the most important directions and areas, the strongpoints of the defense system at all. Also URs had to cover preparations to Red Army offensives.
In 1927-37 soviet border had been covered by 13 URs, located far from border line and in operational depth of the defence system. Before 1939 Stalin Line was widely headlined. Defense of Stalin Line was called undestroyable. Many people were pretty sure that Germans would be stopped on pre-1939 border line. That's why simply penetrated defence line cause shock for soviet people. Many of them asked themself: "Why did undestroyable Stalin Line was simply penetrated by Germans in contrast with the Red Army three-month struggle for comparatively weak Mannergeim Line?".
Cun casemates for 76.2 mm artillery
Gun pillboxes ussually builts as caponier or half-caponier. This description of such pillboxes is based on examination of Misnsk fortified district, RGVA archive documents and materials by V.Kalinin (military history club "Vladivostok fortress", german manual Denkschrift uber die Russische Landesbefestigungen and V.Kysiak article in "Sergeant" magazine).
After defeat in border battles soviet high command hope for retreat of their troops on pre-1939 border defence line built in 1931-34. They decided to organize on this line strong defence. The main idea was to stop german offensive and prepare basis for offense after arrival of reserves from internal military districts.
Important role in this plans should play Novograd-Volynsky UR(fortified district) covered an important Kiev direction. UR was 120 kilometres wide and contained of 216 pillboxes. Most of the UR's bunkers were lined on Slutch river right bank. Just N.Miropol and Novograd-Volynsky areas covered by two or three lines of bunkers with about 4 kilometre depth.
Since war first days the fortified district had been prepared in one's hurry to german advance. The reason of these preparations was UR's mothball in 1940 due to defence line movement to post-1939 border. Armament and internal equipment of pre-1939 defence line were deinstalled and put in storage. It was considered that under threat it would be possible to reinstall armament and equipment. In fact necessary equipment were left in pillboxes untended and broke down. The part of UR's armament and equipment in 1941 were transfered to fortified districts on new border. Thus combativity of UR degraded.
Novograd-Volynsky UR defenses was broken at July 5 1941 near Noviy Miropol and Gulsk village. In breakthrough area located one of the most interesting and powerfull parts of Stalin Line, the so-called "Gul's trap-mine".
Made in Stalingrad
This modification of famous T-34 tank is well known by wartime photos. Its gruffly charm: roughly welded angular turrets with a flat fodder sheet and protuberate underjaw of gun mask armour protection, hull with tenon connection of frontal and aft armour plates with sides, bogies without rubber bandages attracts to STZ-made T-34 tanks modellers and armour fans.
The magazine version of one of chapters of book-research about T-34 history, describing a history of creation and development of T-34 tank version was built in Stalingrad in 1941-43 is offered to the reader.
NCO vs. four-star general
The history of wars is the history of heroes and their weapon. Everyone knows about famous Durandale, Escalibur and Gram swords and their famous owners Roland, King Arthur and Ziegfried. War technology development also cause development of weapon legends. Not man but mass-production tank, planes, guns became legendary "heroes" of battles on the pages of modern books and magazines.
The sample of such legends is KV tank fighting near Rasseniay town during first days of german invasion to Russia. Some authors told us stories about one tank stoped 4 Panzer Group advance to Leningrad on few days. Just one tank versus huge Panzer Group. Unknown NCO versus Generaloberst Hoepner. Is it possible? Author tried to trace real fighting based on soviet and german memories and documents.
Lend-lease antisubmarine weapon
Continuation of an article about the Lend-lease antisubmarine weapon(started in "Poligon" magazine jsTsJ* 1-2/2002). This chapter tells about ship radio-electronic and hydroacoustic devices of detection and target designation.
The fragment of "tank killer" memoirs about attitude to his weapon, anti-tank rifle. The attitude is nonconventional because author hasn't been in rapture to his antitank rifle. In his mem-oires we could see the basis of this opinion.
How to destroy enemy tanks using anti-tank rifle
GABTU KA pocket-size manual of 4942. The owner of this book is V.Glcbov, Moscow.
Battle position of tank destroyer
Full reprint of "Krasniy Voin" newspaper article, 1942. Based on A.Davidenkov's materials..
1. This tank also is probably made by STZ due to hammer-like towing hooks and the hatch with two periscopes. An autumn of 1941
2. The tank made by STZ with new type of a turret. The Moscow battles, winter 1942
3. The tank of 4-th tank brigade made by STZ. Note the advanced track shoe and hammer-like towing hooks
4. Completed T-34 tank shop-ment from STZ to front. Summer 1942. On a back-ground T-34 tank supplied shields. Summer 1942
5. Rare photo of the cast turret made at plant ?264. Summer 1942
6. "Za Stalina" (For the Stalin) tank got stuck in a swamp and thrown by crew
7. Soviet heavy tank destroyed in battle. Army Group North. June 1941
8. Soviet tank captured in battle. Army group North, summer 1941
9. Soviet tank Voroshilov's type, summer 1941
10. Soviet destroyed heavy tank is being removed from the road. Army group North, Summer 1941
11. The large antisubmarine ship "SC.1011" on trial runs, July 1943. The ship is not equipped yet by radar and Mousetrap rocket projector. In January 1945 this ship was included in structure of the Soviet Pacific fleet under the name "BO-327"
12. Tank killers comrade Krasnov's platoon in ambush. Zheleznovodsk area. Typical dummy photo, when real soldies became actors in front-line journalist's camera
13. Tank killers during studying, spring 1943
14. Guardsman-tank-killer P.Makarenko near knocked-out german tank (also italian L6/40). Stalingrad direction, summer 1942